Monday, February 13, 2012

A Quick Rant on recent events...

I normally try to keep my opinions regarding these things to myself, but there has been so much garbage going around that I felt the need to put in my two cents. The first being Whitney Houston's untimely death.


As a HUGE Whitney fan, I was shocked to find out she passed. Even with her history and current struggles, it just wasn't something that I expected. I can remember singing along to my Whitney #1's VHS when I was a child so much that everyday my grandparents had to take it out and let it cool down for fear it would simply melt. There isn't another artist yet who's voice and sheer talent can surpass that of Whitney's. She was just amazing, and regardless of the matter, deserves to be remembered with respect. I say this because I am VERY bothered to constantly hear people blame Bobby Brown for her death. How completely insensitive. That man is mourning her just like eveyone else, and even moreso. They were married for over 15 years, and while it was a lot of drama, they loved each other the best they could. So let that man mourn. And I'm sure that blaming him doesn't help their child cope with the fact that she has lost her mother. To be real, Whitney was a GROWN woman, and responsible for her own choices... good and bad. And she would be the first to tell you, nobody MADE her do anything that she didn't want to do at that time. Throughout the beginning of her career, she had a team of people who micromanaged her career and image so much that we really don't know what she was like before she stepped out with Bobby. And I highly doubt that he introduced her to drugs in the first place, she just had a team who made sure that  anything she did was out of sight. If you want to pass the blame someone, blame the woman's handlers. Because the fact is, if you're working for (with) someone who has a history of substance abuse, then there are certain measures that you need to take to ensure that person's sobriety and well being... if not for that person's care and safety, then at the very least do it to preserve your livelihood since the checks stop when they're gone. But the last thing we need to talking about at this time is whether or not her ex husband (who is 2 years sober btw) is to blame for her death. But regardless of how I or anyone else feels about how or why it happend, I pray that she's found some peace and I pray her family can shut out all the outside mess and get through their loss.

Secondly, I am a little irritated with a post I read on Miranda Lambert speaking out against Chris Brown and his Grammy performances. To be honest, I like Chris Brown, but I wasn't impressed with either performance. So I'd have to agree with criticism regarding that, but that wasn't what bothered her. It's been over 3 years, and people are still trying to crucify this boy for what happened between him and Rihanna. I don't believe a man should ever hit a woman, and I also believe a woman should never fix her fists to hit a man. And 3 years later, you still do not know what happened between them, but that is besides the point. I feel that the Grammy's (and any other awards show) are a representation of what's hot at the moment. Fact is, he had a good album, good sales, amazing airplay.... so why wouldn't he be asked to preform. It is a music awards show, and he is a musician who had a great year. If you want to be mad at somebody then be mad at the people booking the shows, buying the records, playing the music and attending the concerts. People get into mess everyday, and the boy doesn't have a repeated history of abuse, so why do people feel the need to continually bash him? No one is so outraged at Charlie Sheen, BeBe Winans, Wesley Snipes, Mel Gibson (all of whom have been charged with domestic abuse) for being accepted back into their fields. Hell, even Ike Turner was inducted into the Rock N Roll hall of fame after he beat Tina Turner for YEARS! Give Chris a break, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but at some point you've got to be a little more responsible for your own actions. It's crazy how some people let their own beliefs and dislikes turn them into bullies themselves.

I know this was a bit off topic and a bit gloomy compared to what I usually post about, but thank you for letting me let it out. 

I hope everyone has a lovely Valentine's Day and I will hopefully be posting a look soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment