Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Review: Sonia Kashuk Flat Contour Brush (MAC 163 Dupe)


Man... they almost got me! Who? Why, MAC of course... them and their limited edition brushes! I was all set and ready to drop the $35 for their 163 contour brush, figuring it would make my life a whole lot easier, when lo an behold.... Sonia Kashuk swooped down and stole the sale LOL

I was a bit early meeting a buddy at the mall, so I decided to pass some time walking around Target when I spotted this brush... and my mouth hit the floor. I said to myself, "Dang that looks like the MAC brush I'm about to get," then myself answered back and said, "Girl, does that say $12.99?" So I promptly picked up the LAST one and hurried my behind to the check out feeling like I hit some kind of jackpot.


Now, at first glance it's identical to the MAC 163 brush, but there are a few minor difference in them (which I discovered when I whipped that bad boy out at the MAC store). After ignoring the side eye my friend was giving me for pulling out the "competition" in the MAC store, I proceeded to examine the SK brush against their 163... and amazingly SK came out the winner.

They are both flat Contour/Sculpting brushes with surprisingly dense bristles, making for fool proof contouring and blending of products, but the SK brush head is slightly smaller in width than the MAC 163. I happened to like this, figuring it will cut down on mistakes and help out my product placement and control.  The second was that the SK brushes bristles were a lot softer than the MAC 163. Now, I am not in any way saying that the bristles on the  MAC 163 were super hard or anything, but I had to note that I did notice a small bit of scratching as I rubbed it over the back on my hand. I experienced none of that with the SK brush. Also, the 163 is synthetic and the SK has natural bristles. I'd have LOVED if the SK was synthetic (personal preference) but something's gotta give, right?







In the end, I am OVER THE MOON with my accidental dupe discovery. And at well under half the price of the MAC 163, you just can't beat the price or quality. I'll be picking up a few more backups in the off chance it becomes unavailable in the near future.

Have any of you picked up the MAC 163 or Sonia Kashuk Flat Countour/ Sculpt brush? What are your thoughts on either?

P.S- I know it's late, but I had to throw in a random Halloween shot. Excuse the meltdown/smudges... it was the end of a very long day :)


-Miss Brina

3 comments:

  1. I have been looking at different versions of this brush! I will be heading to my nearest target asap to get this! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! I'm sure you'll love it. I've been using it exclusively to contour and have absolutely NO complaints.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just stumbled across the SK brush browsing clearance at my local Target. I snatched it up thinking how great it would be. I didn't even know it was a dupe for a MAC brush. But now I'm even happier that I got it, especially for $6!

    ReplyDelete